Since rolling the calendar over to 2011, the Blackhawks have been back to playing at a playoff level.
After a rough start to the season, the number in January are starting to look more like the staggering dominance the Hawks showed throughout last year. In the month of January, the Blackhawks:
- rank 3rd in the NHL in goals against average (2.00).
- rank 7th in the NHL in goals scored per game (3.25).
- rank 12th in the NHL with a .919 save percentage.
- rank 7th in the NHL in shots on goal per game (34.3).
- rank 1st in the NHL in shots against per game (24.6).
- rank 11th in the NHL in power play efficiency (21.7%).
The only negative on the stat sheet has been the penalty kill unit, which ranks 29th in the NHL (72.0%) in January. However, since Nick Leddy was brought back on Jan. 7, the Hawks have killed 11 of 14 penalties (78,5%). The Hawks have won four of the five games since Leddy was promoted.
Also, the Hawks have allowed more than two goals in a game only twice – and one of the two was a 3-2 shootout loss – this calendar year.
With this week off before an epic weekend starting in Detroit and ending before the Bears game with a late morning matinee against Philadelphia, the Blackhawks are settling into position to make a strong playoff push. As the rest of the Western Conference plays the games they had in-hand, the Hawks remain in eighth place in the conference. They are, however, only two points out of fourth.