As you can see from the hit, and the immediate reaction of Chicago’s play-by-play announcer Pat Foley, Daniel Carcillo will likely get a call from Brendan Shanahan’s office soon.
Carcillo has a track record with the league’s discipline office. He has already been suspended once this year, and served another suspension to begin the season that carried over from last year. Indeed, he has a lengthy track record with missing games because of stupidity. From TSN, here’s Carcillo’s track record:
- 2008/10/17 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
- 2009/12/06 Suspended by the NHL for 4 games.
- 2010/03/30 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
- 2011/05/17 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.
- 2011/10/29 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games
Here’s the video from the season’s other repeat offender, Edmonton’s Andy Sutton, who received an eight match suspension. Many of the same points apply to this hit from Carcillo. He has been suspended five times previously, including once this season, and the intent of this hit was clearly malicious; Carcillo makes little/no effort to play the puck. Carcillo could face a suspension similar in length.