Here is a 21-man NHL roster that the Blackhawks could have on Opening Night that fits under the salary cap.
- Patrick Kane – Jonathan Toews – Troy Brouwer
- Marian Hossa – Patrick Sharp – Viktor Stalberg
- Tomas Kopecky – Dave Bolland – Bryan Bickell
- Jack Skille – Jake Dowell – Igor Makarov/Hugh Jessiman/Jeff Taffe
- Duncan Keith-Brent Seabrook
- Brian Campbell-Niklas Hjalmarsson
- Shawn Lalonde-Jordan Hendry*
- John Scott as seventh defenseman/13th forward on roster
- Goalies: Antti Niemi – Hannu Toivonen
This roster would give the Blackhawks, depending on which of the three listed potential 12th forwards made the roster, between $190-$240k in cap space heading into the season. A future trade, likely one sending Tomas Kopecky out the door, before or during the season might take place for additional cap space, but this roster as listed works under the current NHL salary cap.
The assumption on this roster is that Jordan Hendry would agree to return at the same cap number ($625k) that he had last year.