On Wednesday, June 21, the Vegas Golden Knights will announce their selections from each NHL roster at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. One week prior would be Game Seven of the Stanley Cup Final.
Between now and the Expansion Draft, while fans are watching the Predators and Penguins, there are a number of critical dates on the NHL calendar that executives across North America will be watching as well.
- Monday, June 12 – 5 pm ET is the deadline for clubs to request a player to waive his no-move clause to be exposed for the Expansion Draft. If you’re imagining a scenario where the Pens would have to ask Marc-Andre Fleury to waive his only to potentially need him in a clinching situation… Nashville and Pittsburgh are not held to this deadline if there is a Game Seven. If the Final goes to the ultimate game, Nashville and Pittsburgh would have until 5 pm ET the day following Game Seven (talk about pissing on a parade!).
- Thursday, June 15 – 11:59 am ET is the deadline for teams to ask players with no-move clauses whether they want to be placed on waivers for purposes of a buy-out before the Expansion Draft. If the Cup Final goes the distance, Nashville and Pittsburgh would be required to meet this deadline.
- Friday, June 16 – noon ET is the deadline to place players on waivers before the Expansion Draft Trade/Waiver Freeze.
- Friday, June 16 – 5 pm ET is the deadline for players to agree to waive their no-move clauses for the Expansion Draft.
- Saturday, June 17 – 3 pm ET is the beginning of the Expansion Draft Trade/Waiver Freeze for all teams except Vegas. It is also the beginning of the Expansion Draft Signing Moratorium on NHL contracts with, again, the exception of Vegas.
- Saturday, June 17 – 5 pm ET is the deadline for each team to submit their protected list to the NHLPA and Central Registry.
- Sunday, June 18 – 10 am ET is when Central Registry will approve and distribute the protected lists to all NHL organizations and the NHLPA. Happy Father’s Day indeed!
- Sunday, June 18 – 10 am ET is also the opening of the interview period for Vegas (only Vegas) to discuss contracts with unrestricted and restricted free agents who are eligible for selection in the Expansion Draft.
- Sunday, June 18 – 10:01 am ET — Wednesday, June 21 – 9:59 am ET – this is the window for Vegas to sign current or pending free agents off other teams available player list.
- Wednesday, June 21 – 10 am ET is the deadline for Vegas to submit their Expansion Draft selections to Central Registry and the NHLPA. How long will this be kept quiet?
- Wednesday, June 21 – 10 am ET is also the deadline for Vegas to submit all agreed upon standard player contracts for unrestricted and restricted free agents to Central Registry. If Vegas signs a player from the available list, this will count as their Expansion Draft selection from that organization. If Vegas signs a restricted free agent, the team losing said player does not receive compensation from Vegas.
- Wednesday, June 21 – 8 pm ET is the official announcement of Vegas’ selections. This happens during the NHL Awards.
- Thursday, June 22 – 8 am ET is the end of the Expansion Draft Signing Moratorium and Trade/Waiver Freeze.
- Friday, June 23 – Saturday, June 24 – the 2017 NHL Draft at the United Center in Chicago.