According to a report out of Sweden, defenseman Robin Press will play in the SHL next season.
Press, 23, was a seventh round pick (#211) by the Blackhawks in 2013. He played in 52 games with the Indy Fuel in the ECHL last season, posting 44 points (10 goals, 34 assists). He has appeared in 16 games with the IceHogs over the past two seasons.
This move is little surprise considering the Blackhawks’ organizational depth on the blue line currently. According to CapFriendly, Chicago currently have the following defensemen signed:
- Brent Seabrook (thru 2023-24)
- Duncan Keith (thru 2022-23)
- Connor Murphy (thru 2021-11)
- Jan Rutta (thru 2018-19)
- Erik Gustafsson (thru 2019-20)
- Jordan Oesterle (thru 2018-19)
- Gustav Forsling (thru 2018-19)
- Blake Hillman (thru 2018-19)
- Dennis Gilbert (thru 2020-21)
- Lucas Carlsson (thru 2020-21)
- Joni Tuulola (thru 2019-20)
- Luc Snuggerud (thru 2019-20)
- Carl Dahlström (thru 2018-19)
- Darren Raddysh (thru 2019-20)
- Robin Norell (thru 2018-19)
Not yet signed are Henri Jokiharju or Adam Clendening (RFA). Cody Franson and Viktor Svedberg are UFA this summer.
Obviously there are only 12-14 roster spots open for defensemen in Chicago and Rockford, so both camps figure to be competitive this season.