Blues Acquire Nail Yakupov

On Friday evening, the St. Louis Blues acquired forward Nail Yakupov from the Edmonton Oilers.

The cost? A nothing prospect and a draft pick.

To be exact, St. Louis traded center Zach Pochiro and a conditional 2017 draft pick. The choice is a third rounder, but becomes a second rounder pick in 2018 if Yakupov scores 15 goals. Pochiro, 22, played in the ECHL last season.

One of the keys to the deal is St. Louis taking on all of Yakupov’s $2.5M cap hit for the 2016-17 season, after which he becomes a RFA. According to General Fanager, the deal leaves St. Louis with roughly $820k in cap space this season.

The Blackhawks had been rumored to have interest in Yakupov, but the performance of Chicago’s youngsters during this preseason undoubtedly gave GM Stan Bowman a moment of pause when considering a roster spot being given to the underwhelming Yakupov.

Chicago visits St. Louis for the preseason finale on Saturday night.

22 thoughts on “Blues Acquire Nail Yakupov

  • October 7, 2016 at 11:58 pm

    Well they can have a first hand look at him on Saturday night because hes a Blues now. I would say there was a 3% chance we could turn him into a good NHLer but that leaves 97% probability that we get saddled with a problem.

    Blues is a perfect spot for the guy, alongside prima donna Tarasenko.

  • October 8, 2016 at 12:26 am

    Stan could not take on that contract. The Hawks just gave Teuvo away to rid themselves of the Bickell albatross.

    I am not sure Yakupov will blossom under Hitchcock, then get another new Coach next year in Yeo.

  • October 8, 2016 at 4:27 am

    Yes!! Couldn’t have happened to a nicer team. Congrats St Louis. Here’s to hoping he’s somehow in your lineup come playoff time!

  • October 8, 2016 at 7:53 am

    Very good for the Hawks ……dont need to worry about his 2 way performance …..glad he is not a Hawks ……i prefer the Heart the Hawks Kid have ….

  • October 8, 2016 at 8:56 am

    But it’s st. louis….if he even sort of works out it will be for our least favorite team

  • October 8, 2016 at 9:41 am

    The prospects for Yakupov resurrecting his career in St. Louis are the same as if the Hawks acquired them – probably not great but a low risk for the team to take. I was intrigued by the chance for the Hawks to acquire him and I’m sure many Blues fans feel as I did when rumors had him coming here. But the Hawks needed EDM to retain salary and St. Louis didn’t and that’s the way it went. So, I’ll just have to hope that Yakupov doesn’t discover his potential in the Gateway City.

    Meanwhile, I’ll return to being excited about our young players the way I was before the Yakupov distraction occurred.

  • October 8, 2016 at 2:05 pm

    Honestly, I’ve seen him only in games against the Hawks, but considering his reputation and the type of players Q likes/who fit the system, I don’t believe the Hawks missed out on anything.

  • October 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm

    ER, distraction occurred and avoided. He will help any teams PP though.

    I would rather our own blood guys that paid their dues on the farm be hungry like a wolf and be coming on with authority.

  • October 8, 2016 at 5:08 pm

    I also don’t think the Hawks are interested in giving up a draft pick with Chicago hosting in 17, unless absolutely necessary.

  • October 8, 2016 at 5:36 pm

    Sure hope come April they aren’t regretting this missed chance to add skill alongside Mr Toews. Got to believe he’s better than Panik.

  • October 8, 2016 at 5:58 pm

    What all this Yakupov gymnastics basically says is the front office is never satisfied and always looking to improve the team … which is what they should do.

    They didn’t get this guy due to salary issues, St. Louis was able to pay the whole salary tab as others have said, Blackhawks weren’t.

    Moving on … there are some interesting players on waivers, Blackhawks have several days until their opener with a lot of practice time ahead, they have a bit of cap room so something else could happen. Not that Panik is a world beater but they sniffed him out last year and they have a few spare parts (McNeill for one) that I’m sure are in play.

    Bottom line, they are always looking to improve and their pro scouting is thorough. Whether the improvement is large scale or incremental, they will strike if it’s someone who makes sense to them fit wise and financially.

    Teams will get more desperate to dump off guys these several days before the season starts, we usually see some transactions in early October. There are assuredly some other guys who for whatever reason aren’t a fit in their current organizations who the Blackhawks like.

  • October 8, 2016 at 6:56 pm

    There inst when we will add as good/better FW at deadline for a better caphit.

  • October 8, 2016 at 11:55 pm

    The risk w/ Yakupov is that he’s another Rundblad – thus the absolute nothing that the Oilers got back for him (albeit w/ StL taking the entire cap hit).

    The reward w/ Yakupov is that he’s another Kyle Turis, who got out of Arizona and blossomed immediately.

    We’ll see where it goes from here, but based on Yakupov’s cap hit & NHL career to date I’ll move forward w/ Motte, Hinostroza & Schmaltz happily.

  • October 9, 2016 at 12:07 am

    “they have a bit of cap room so something else could happen…” / “we will add as good/better FW at deadline for a better caphit” — so, naturally they should feel compelled to SPEND? OR, maybe they use whatever $$$ is available to (help) pay overages/bonuses to (keep their eye on the prize) make an extension for Panarin affordable? (Spending/wasting at the trade deadline absolutely depends on the situation. And, more often than not, it doesn’t result in winning the Cup.)

  • October 9, 2016 at 4:35 am

    Agree with Dickie, get breadman signed long term asap. Everything else takes back seat right now. Oh and keep him happy by letting him play with Kane sometimes even if it’s just on the pp to balance out Toews line if that is the main plan this year.

  • October 9, 2016 at 8:29 am

    Well that kinda sucks. Ill be curious to see how he plays as a blue.

  • October 9, 2016 at 11:20 am

    DeBrincat- lighting up OHL since his return… 3 games- 4g/5a

    Noel, Bondra, and Radke also Putting up Numbers…

    Noticed there is an undrafted kid on Radke’s team… 6’2″ , 225 lb. Center…
    decent Numbers last year… very good Numbers this year… And Is a Beast at winning Face-offs around 60-65%… Cordell James… anyone seen this kid play???

    Any scouting on him?

  • October 9, 2016 at 5:12 pm

    James is the Barrie captain. Very aggressive play last night vs Kitchener. Was looking at Radke more (and thus didn’t focus a lot on James), but when his line decided to not be really cute with the passes they hemmed Kitchener in their own end for long stretches. James had a nice goal on a give and go that forced the goalie out of position. Not knowing anything further, I’d be curious as to why he is undrafted.

    Once Radke decided to stop trying to run all the dmen into the 4th row and focus on getting the puck, he played a lot better. Really thought that he would have the hat trick before the end of the second period. Smartly setup one of his linemates for an empty netter at the end instead of taking the long range shot at #3 and risking the icing.

  • October 9, 2016 at 6:51 pm

    Wall, what I like is he scores goals 50% of his points every yr.

  • October 9, 2016 at 8:14 pm

    Dave- do you have any opinion on his skating/speed?

    If you catch Barrie again- let me know how his skating is… Seems like a guy with that size, FO wins, ok scoring… some team should take a shot at him… unless his skating is really poor/average.


  • October 10, 2016 at 6:27 pm

    No opinion on James skating, sorry. Kitchener had the quicker skaters, but not the overall talent level. Their speed was what kept the game from being a Barrie blowout – ignore the two empty netters and despite being outshot two to one they were only down 4-3.

    If my buddy who is local in Barrie can ignore the goalies for a little while I’ll see if he can track James’ skating for a while.

  • November 6, 2016 at 4:47 am

    Keep up the great job and delivering in the crowd!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *